Alcohol Licensing Regulations and Offences

“My application for a licence to sell alcohol has been refused”

If you sell or are planning to sell alcohol, whether it is for consumption on or off your premises, there are certain requirements you must meet. Not only will you need to ensure that your premises are appropriately licensed, you will also need to have at least one person who holds a personal licence for the supply of alcohol on the premises at all times to authorise sales. Applications for these licences must be made to your local authority.

Due to the wider impact the sale of alcohol has on society, all applications are rigorously assessed. If you have previously forfeited a licence, or you have criminal convictions, then you may not meet the requisite criteria to hold a personal licence. If you are refused a personal licence then you have a right to appeal the decision.

At Hollingsworth Edwards, we understand that the refusal of such an application can have a significant impact on your ability to maintain your business and the importance of a successful challenge of that decision. We bring our wealth of skill and experience to ensure your appeal has the best possible chance of success.

“I am being prosecuted for selling alcohol to a person under the age of 18 or outside permitted hours”

If you hold a licence to supply alcohol and alcohol is sold to a person under the age of 18 or outside permitted hours on your premises, then you may be charged with a criminal offence under under s.59 or s.169A Licensing Act 1964, even if the sale in question was made by one of your employees. Such a conviction could be devastating to your business and future applications for an alcohol licence so it is imperative that you obtain legal advice as soon as possible.

At Hollingsworth Edwards we ensure that all avenues of investigation are explored to advise you as to you best possible defence or how your case can be most successfully mitigated.

If you would like legal assistance with such an appeal, if you have received a summons, or just need more information about alcohol licencing regulations, contact us on the above number to arrange a fixed fee initial consultation.

Criminal Criminal Defence Service Community Legal Service